It's Alive! Esprit de Corpse

 

I've written a total of eight novels, but today I see my first published novel come to life, and I can't begin to say how thrilled I am. I want to run shouting in the streets and pull everyone out of their houses to see it, read it, and dance with me. Sadly, I can't because I'm currently sick with my usual every-six-weeks bronchitis.

The publication process is fascinating, and I wish I had taken time in my younger years to learn it better. Danielle Ackley-McPhail literally wrote the book on getting a book into print, but as a passenger on the journey, I've been amazed by the step-by-step path to publication.

Most readers probably assume an author sends a manuscript to a publisher, someone on that end reads it and decides whether to buy it, someone else checks it for mistakes, it gets dumped into a printer, and voilà. Out pops a book.

This is not the case. The finished, final edit of a book will first go through a period of introduction with the printing of Advanced Readers Copy (ARC). That's where I am now. From here, the ARC will go out to our Kickstarter backers and to various review publications before printing a final edition. 

In my case, for example, the ARC has a temporary cover, and as lovely as it is, it doesn't reflect my publisher's desire to have consistent portraits of the characters across the series. I can't wait to see what's in store! There are a few errors we found in the digital e-books that will be corrected for the print version. Once reviews are in, the back cover or an inside page may feature the best of them. In the meantime, pre-orders will be set up so we have a good idea of how many to run.

Unlike giant publishing houses, independent presses do not have the budget to gull the public into thinking a book is a best-seller because it's on a best-seller's list. Some books are bartered onto the list by major publishers who say, "For every *major author's name here* book you buy, we will send you a free copy of *book by a new author we hope you'll like.* The New York Times doesn't look at actual sales numbers, only shipment numbers, so there's an instant best-seller that may not sell at all.

I'm almost 68 years old. I don't have time for marketing silly-gamesmanship. I write really good stories, and I have three more books in this steampunk series completed, but I have to depend on the success of the first book to see the others get to print. 

So, if you're one of my Kickstarter backers, I hope you enjoy your digital copy and please send me your reactions and comments! 

Watch this space for your opportunity to order the book.

Meanwhile, dance with me!



Comments

Popular Posts