Sunday noitcelfeR


 After the dread and panic of last Sunday, this weekend has been a dream.

Jack is out of any danger. Blood thinners are working, swelling is down, and he's able to walk more and more each day.

I'm reminded of Tony Campolo's lessons: "It's Friday. But Sunday's Coming!"

There's two ways to take that, of course. One is that TGIF mentality dictates we party hard on Friday, and repent of it on Sunday. The other is that Jesus died on a Friday and rose on a Sunday. Or, as the psalmist is paraphrased to have said, "Though sorrow may last the night, joy comes in the morning."

Today is Independence Day. I was reminded of our freedom from the Law of sin and death. As it is the first Sunday of the month, when my church celebrates Communion, I'm reminded of the fact that grace is free. 

But that doesn't mean it doesn't cost anything. It costs your life. Your old life. There are a lot of pieces of my old life I keep on a bungee cord. I "lay them down at the cross," but when I walk away, SPROING! they come back to me. At my age, you'd think I know better. I DO know better. Depression has its literal drawbacks--drawing me back to places I thought I'd left--drawing things back to me when I thought I'd left them behind.

But the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the Law of sin and death. That's the freedom I want to celebrate today.

Comments

Popular Posts