Sunday noitclefeR


 I've been dieting for almost two years, and I did drop 60 pounds, but I've been on a plateau for over a year now.

Granted, after I got below 200, COVID set in, and I gained the COVID-19. But I've lost 8 of that again.

One of the things that bugs me about Scripture's description of heaven is all the references to food. Bread and wine. The fatted calf. Fat and marrow. Oil on the head dripping down one's beard. Grapes, figs, pomegranates. Loaves and fishes. Eating meals together, pot-luck style. Drunk with the Holy Spirit. New wine in new wineskins. "He prepareth a table before me." A heavenly banquet. 

Then there's that story about the man who wanted to know the difference between heaven and hell. He was taken to a banquet where everyone was given a fork too long for them to feed themselves. That was hell. Then he was taken to the same banquet with the same forks, where everyone fed each other. That was heaven.

I even once made a crack to someone who said I wasn't Christ-like enough because I wasn't meek and subservient and sweet-tempered like a woman should be. I said, "That's why there's vanilla AND jalapeño. And if they're serving tacos at the heavenly banquet, I think you're going to want me there."

People often just don't understand metaphors. They really think they're going to be stuffed with all their favorite Never-foods in heaven. When I was a kid, I pictured ice cream all day, every day.

It's very difficult to read Scripture and stay on my diet. Just reflecting on it makes me want to eat more. And I do love my carbs. 

To compare heaven to a sugar rush is deceptive, at best. 

The kingdom of heaven is among us when we're all in God's Spirit, doing God's will. We don't attain heaven as a reward, like dessert; we live it. If we live heaven, we don't die. 

That's the metaphor. That's it. 


Comments

  1. I agree, re: food as metaphor. I stayed away from chocolate last year long before the Lenten season. I did it because I'm addicted to kisses. I can't have just one and if I'm not careful it gets my heart racing. Ever since I had chemo and radiation around that area my heart beats faster if I take certain over the counter pain meds and or dark chocolate. And at 60 I've cut out all dairy and almost all sugar due to memory issues and it helps a LOT!!! No sugar is good. I used to take 3 tablespoons of those yummy unbleached Florida sugar crystals. I take my green tea without sugar now! And I don't have to feel guilty about whatever that sugar is supposedly doing to the ecosystem down there. If it's true they really know how to frack up the environment in Florida. Will there be anything good left for our heirs? Anywho. No sugar less fat. People tell me I'm thin but they can't see my old lady gut. I'm thinner though. I shrunk an inch due to age but some of it went into my feet so I have to buy bigger shoes now. Walking my dogs more than half an hour every day has kept my weight manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had such trouble with my feet, I'm afraid to walk unless it's on a treadmill or in the pool. Now that the quarantine is eased, I'll be going back to that. I'm hoping that kicks me over the edge of this plateau.

      Delete
    2. Are you wearing good shoes? Most women won't splurge. I love Nike Shox but they discontinued them. They still have a lot of sneakers with thick soles though, and that has made a huge difference for me walking. Before that I had neck, and foot pain. Now I don't have to think about my feet when walking because no pain. And no back and neck pain just because I splurge on the right sneakers and a very firm mattress :D

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. I'm not a shoe person, in the sense of buying stylish for every outfit. I spend good bucks on good shoes. I've just had so many broken bones in my feet, along with osteoarthritis and neuropathy, that I can't trust them.

      Delete
    4. Me neither, re: stylish. I'm not a designer buyer. I go to the thrift stores, but not for shoes. Although I do like Marshall's clothes. I'm sorry you had broken bones in your feet! Ouch! And osteoarthritis and neuropathy! that sounds painful! I'll pray for healing on your feet. * hugs *

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.

Popular Posts