Sunday niotcelfeR

 

Arlene Genevieve Mett
Today is Mothers Day.

Despite being raised reciting "Pater Noster" and "Holy Mary, Mother of God," I have always perceived God as a maternal figure.

No hairy thunderer or cosmic judge, but the hen who gathers her brood under her wings. 

We think of shepherds being men, but I recall Mom giving us food (green pastures) and water (still waters). Mom made sure we didn't go wanting, even if it meant hand-me-downs. She taught us right from wrong (the right path), and when we fell down, she restored our souls. And BOY, could she prepare a table before us!

I walked plenty of dark paths, but I always knew my mom was there with the door open, a pitcher of iced tea at the ready, and a kitchen table for long talks.

So Mom was a Good Shepherd.

When I think of God, these are the qualities that come to mind: creator, teacher, comforter, empowerer. Those are all my mom traits as well. And I know I prepare a great table as well, because when my boys were growing up, we had a constant flow of extra kids at dinner. For that matter, they usually stayed through until breakfast.

Certainly the look my mom is giving in this photo is also a trait of moms. We've all received "that look" from our moms, especially in church when I'm in the choir and my boys in the first pew are acting up. David Meece called them "stop it waves." You couldn't hear it, but you could FEEL her saying "STOP IT!" And I know I'm not so much angry at them as I am disappointed, and I wonder if I couldn't have taught them more clearly.

God does the same thing. Watching us break the rules, God sends "stop it waves." 

I don't want to disappoint God.

Comments

Popular Posts